Exercises to increase fluency with refactoring by practicing using keyboard shortcuts more.
- Use keyboard shortcuts for Move Line, Inline, Multiple Cursors, Expand Selection
- Identify what happens when you do ‘inline’ on methods and variables
- 2 min connect: keyboard shortcuts you use a lot
- 10 mins concept and do: Move Line
- 10 mins concept and do: Navigation
- 10 mins concept and do: Inline
- 10 mins concept and do: Multi Cursor
- 10 mins concept and do: Expand Selection
- 2 min reflect: note most useful shortcuts
Connect: keyboard shortcuts you use a lot
What are the keyboard shortcuts that you use the most while coding? Dot voting, up to 5 votes each:
- Move Line
- Expand Selection
- Extract Method/Function
- Introduce Variable
- Create Cursor/Caret
- Navigate to definition
- Find Usages
- Introduce Constant
- Bold text
- Find in files
- Comment lines
The goal is just to remind people they already know some shortcuts, even if it’s only Ctrl-C for copy and Ctrl-V for paste.
Concept and do
Use the Keyboard Shortcut Katas. The five sections are listed in the README. For each one, present the challenge, get people to identify the relevant keyboard shortcuts, and let them work on it individually.
Get a sticky note to keep next to your screen. Note down on it one or two keyboard shortcuts that you will try to use more often now.